Reasons to publish with the Microbiology Society
11 March 2019
When deciding where to publish, authors have a variety of options. Here we discuss why you should consider publishing your next article with the Microbiology Society.
Publishing for the community
Microbiology Society journals contain high-quality research papers and topical review articles. We are a not-for-profit publisher and we support and invest in the microbiology community, to the benefit of everyone. This supports our principal goal to develop, expand and strengthen the networks available to our members so that they can generate new knowledge about microbes and ensure that it is shared with other communities.
Microbiology Society and open access
The Society’s open access and author archiving policies allow our authors to comply with the various requirements specified by the major funding bodies.
Our gold Open Access option, OpenMicrobiology, allows authors and their funding bodies to make published articles freely available online from the time of publication, upon payment of an Article Processing Charge (APC). All four of our subscription journals offer OpenMicrobiology as an option, and our pure Open Access journals, are also covered by OpenMicrobiology.
Our Green Open Access policy means that our authors can publish Open Access completely free. We allow authors to post their accepted manuscripts in subject or institutional repositories on the day of publication, without embargo.
As part of our educational remit, we also make all subscription articles free-to-read 12 months after publication (sometimes called Bronze Open Access).
Our peer review process
We offer a simple, transparent and efficient end-to-end, in-house publishing process. Our editors and editorial boards are leading experts in the field and accessible to our authors the whole way through the publishing process. Don’t just take our word for it. Our author and reviewer surveys have been open since July 2018 and we have had an overwhelming positive response.
- 92% of authors rate the publishing process as either ‘excellent’ or ‘good’.
- 97% of authors would be ‘likely’ or ‘very likely’ to submit to the journal or recommend the journal to a colleague.
“This was the fastest and most well reviewed submission that I have experienced.”
“The reviewers’ and editors’ comments were very useful.”
“The peer review was both detailed and timely.”
We publish across the breadth of microbiology
- Microbiology is the world-renowned flagship journal of the Microbiology Society, has a global reach and has published seminal content since 1947.
- Journal of General Virology recognises the importance of Virology as a discipline within microbiology. Its collaborative and innovative approach supports an active global community.
- Journal of Medical Microbiology has a unique interdisciplinary approach, bridging the gap between the medical research and clinical communities, and between human and veterinary microbiology.
- Microbial Genomics has a unique scope, publishes cutting-edge research, and enhances content through the latest collaborative services.
- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology is highly respected as the voice of microbial taxonomy and systematics, backed by the ICSP and other community leaders.
- Access Microbiology introduces a new journal to members of our community allowing the publication of replication studies, negative or null results, research proposals, data management plans, additions to established methods, and interdisciplinary work.
For more information about Microbiology Society journals visit microbiologyresearch.org.