Council appointed positions
Our Council Appointed Positions are typically Chairs of Committees, Panels and/or Divisions and Editors-in-Chief of our Journals, and provide key leadership roles within our governance. An important element of these types of roles is ensuring synergy and communications across the different areas of strategic focus thus the roles often sit on multiple groups and the remits are often broad. We encourage applicants to fully read the job descriptions and terms of reference documents provided at the bottom of this page and ensure they have adequate time available to devote to the roles.
We are looking across the breadth of our international membership from all Full, Full Concessionary, Honorary and Postgraduate Student members for the following:
By convention, this rotates around the interests of the four Divisions. The current Chair works within virology and the current Chair-elect in Prokaryotic microbiology, so the Society is ostensibly keen to receive expressions of interest for this role from those within eukaryotic microbiology. However, Council is primarily concerned will ensuring the best candidate for the role based on the skills required to be successful so this should not be a barrier to expression of interest.
- Co-Chair-elect of Impact and Influence Committee to serve as Co-Chair elect for 1 year January-December 2024 and then Co-Chair 1 January 2025-31 December 2027.
- Co-Chair-elect Sustainability Committee, who will serve one year as co-Chair-elect from 1 January 2024 and three years as co-Chair from 1 January 2025.
All Division Chair and Chair-elects are also on the Scientific Conferences Panel. Division Chairs also sit on the Building Communities Committee.
- Chair-elect of the Eukaryotic Division to serve two years as Chair-elect January 2024 – December 2025 and then two years as Chair January 2026 – December 2027
- Chair-elect of the Irish Division to serve two years as Chair-elect January 2024 – December 2025 and then two years as Chair January 2026 – December 2027
- Chair-elect of the Prokaryotic Division to serve two years as Chair-elect January 2024 – December 2025 and then two years as Chair January 2026 – December 2027
- Chair-elect of the Virus Division to serve two years as Chair-elect January 2024–December 2025 and then two years as Chair January 2026 – December 2027
New Divisions Chair dealine is 4 June 2023.
Submit an expression of interest
In the first instance, any Honorary, Full, Full Concessionary or Postgraduate Student member who wants to nominate either themselves or someone else for any of these roles can send an email to [email protected] by April 30 2023.
At this stage, please write a short paragraph explaining why the candidate is suited to the role.
The expressions of interest received will be reviewed by the Council Appointments Panel who will seek further information from individuals as required
We particularly encourage applications from communities within our membership that are typically underrepresented. If you feel any barriers to participation, require any adjustments to the process, or to the practicalities of undertaking one of these roles, then please talk to us and we can ensure you are supported. Any questions on any aspect of this process can be directed to Rosie Waterton, Executive Governance Manager, at [email protected].
Job Descriptions and Terms of Reference
Job descriptions for each position can be found below. Terms of reference for all Committees and Panels are also available.
Building Communities CommitteeBuilding Communities Committee co-Chair Role Description 2023
Building Communities Committee terms of reference
Publishing Panel terms of reference
Scientific Conferences Panel terms of reference
Impact and Influence CommitteeImpact and Influence Committee co-Chair Role Description 2023
Impact and Influence Committee terms of reference
Sustainability CommitteeSustainability Committee Role co-Chair Description 2023
Sustainability Committee terms of reference
Eukaryotic DivisionEukaryotic Division Chair and Chair-elect role description 2023
Eukaryotic Divisions terms of reference
Irish DivisionIrish Division Chair and Chair-elect role description 2023
Irish Division terms of reference
Prokaryotic DivisionsProkaryotic Division Chair and Chair-elect role description 2023
Prokaryotic Division terms of reference
Virus DivisionVirus Division Chair and Chair-elect role description 2023
Virus Division terms of reference
Federation of Infection Societies (FIS)FIS Chair-elect Role Description 2023