Vacancies, nominations and elections
Members are at the very heart of this organisation. Supporting them and their careers and therefore microbiology is why we exist, so it is appropriate that the people involved in the conversations, discussions and decision-making around what we do and how we do it, are our members themselves. It’s clearly not possible to canvas the opinion of nearly 7,000 people about every single thing that the Society does, so, with the support of our full governance structure, our Council, bears the legal responsibilities of Trustees of the Charity and Directors of the Company and take a variety of important strategic and legal decisions on how the Society deploys its assets and supports its members.
"I’ve learnt so much being on Council, I would recommend it to anybody – I think I am better for it."
Dr Tina Joshi, co-Chair of Impact and Influence Committee
Microbiology Society is an international organisation and one that is proudly welcoming to anyone interested in microbes, their effects and their uses. Our reputation as a friendly, nurturing and approachable community, driven by the experience of a diverse set of members, is extremely important to us and thus, we are keen to ensure that our Council, and all our governance structures, are reflective of that variety of perspectives. Therefore we encourage applications from communities within our membership that are typically underrepresented.
If you feel any barriers to participation, require any adjustments to the process, or to the practicalities of undertaking one of these roles, then please talk to us and we can ensure you are supported. Any questions on any aspect of this process can be directed to Rosie Waterton, Executive Secretary, at [email protected].
Being on Council and a co-Chair of a Committee is being part of a community. Getting together with colleagues and friends to bring different perspectives to a mutual issue and driving forward an impactful decision that will ultimately support more members, is both rewarding and fun!
Acting in these roles gives you a platform to utlise your knowledge and skills to contribute to the work of a Society that has supported your career, and also build on them as it provides you an opportunity for further networking and professional development.
The Society also supports its Council members to attend a variety of our events, such as Annual Conference.
The Society has vacancies in five influential positions from January 2024 and is currently inviting expressions of interest from the membership to fill those roles. Job descriptions and any relevant terms of reference for Committees can be found below. If you are interested but need more information, or want to talk to the office or the current post holder, please email [email protected] and we will ensure a relevant member of staff, or Council gets in touch to chat it through with you.
Please note that after any elect period, all Committee Chair positions will serve as members of Council and as such will not only undertake duties relevant to the specific role but also legal responsibilities as trustees of the Society. All roles are unremunerated though all reasonable expenses are reimbursed.
The full process for seeking these positions is detailed here.
- Co-Chair-elect Sustainability Committee, who will serve one year as co-Chair-elect from 1 January 2024 and three years as co-Chair from 1 January 2025.
- Co-Chair-elect Building Communities Committee and Chair-elect of the Publishing Panel, who will serve one year as Chair-elect of the Publishing Panel, and co-Chair-elect of Building Communities Committee from 1 January 2024, then three years as Chair of the Publishing Panel and co-Chair of Building Communities Committee from 1 January 2025.
- Co-Chair-elect of Building Communities Committee and Chair-elect of the Scientific Conferences Panel to serve two years as Chair-elect from 1 January 2024-31 December 2025 and two years as Co-Chair of Building Communities Committee and Chair of the Scientific Conferences Panel from 1 January 2026-31 December 2027.
By convention, this rotates around the interests of the four Divisions. The current Chair works within virology and the current Chair-elect in Prokaryotic microbiology so the Society is ostensibly keen to receive expressions of interest for this role from those within eukaryotic microbiology. However, Council is primarily concerned will ensuring the best candidate for the role based on the skills required to be successful so this should not be a barrier to expression of interest.
- Co-Chair-elect of Impact and Influence Committee to serve as Co-Chair elect for 1 year January-December 2024 and then co-Chair 1 January 2025-31 December 2027.
- Federation of Infection Societies (FIS) Chair-elect to serve as FIS Chair-elect from January 2024-December 2025 and then FIS Chair from January 2026-December 2027. This position does not sit on Council but is key to engaging the infection community, and once Chair will sit on our Building Communitites Committee.
A crucial part of being Chair- elect of FIS is having relevant infection prevention control (IPC) and clinical knowledge and a strong network and reputation as Chair to attract Speakers to present and partake in FIS.
Sustainability CommitteeSustainability Committee co-Chair Role Description 2023
Sustainability Committee terms of reference
Building Communitites CommitteeBuilding Communities Committee co-Chair Role Description 2023
Building Communities Committee terms of reference
Scientific Conferences Panel terms of reference
Publishing Panel terms of reference
Impact and Influence CommitteeImpact and Influence Committee co-Chair Role Description 2023
Impact and Influence Committee terms of reference
FISFIS Chair-elect Role Description 2023
In the first instance, any Honorary, Full, Full Concessionary or Postgraduate Student member who wants to nominate either themselves or someone else for any of these roles can send an email to [email protected]
At this stage, please write a short paragraph explaining why the candidate is suited to the role. Submissions should be received no later than Sunday 26 February 2023.
The expressions of interest received will be reviewed by the Council Appointments Panel who will seek further information from individuals as required
We particularly encourage applications from communities within our membership that are typically underrepresented. If you feel any barriers to participation, require any adjustments to the process, or to the practicalities of undertaking one of these roles, then please talk to us and we can ensure you are supported. Any questions on any aspect of this process can be directed to Rosie Waterton, Executive Secretary, at [email protected].
If these roles aren’t quite right for you then please pop back later! In March, we will open our nominations for elected positions across all the groups in our governance structure. This includes further elected positions on Council, Committees and our Divisions. Please see below for the roles we will be seeking later in the year. Further information on these and nominations forms to apply will be available when the process opens in March.
You can also join our Shadowing Scheme which gives you an opportunity to observe Committee or Council meetings and chat with a 'host' member to get an idea of how it works before you apply for a formal position.
Please note nominations are not yet open. More information will be available when the process opens in March.
Three Elected Members of Council to serve January 2024-December 2026. All Elected Members of Council also sit on one of the activity Committees as a Council representative.
Building Communities Committee
Two Elected Members of the Building Communities Committee to serve January 2024 – December 2026
Impact and Influence Committee
Five Elected Members of the Impact and Influence Committee to serve January 2024 – December 2026
Three Elected Members of the Sustainability Committee to serve January 2024 – December 2026
Early Career Microbiologists Forum Executive Committee
10 Elected Members for various positions as detailed below.
- Co-Chair-elect - ECM Forum Exec Committee to serve 6 months as Chair-elect from July-December 2023 and then co-Chair from January 2024-December 2025.
- Elected Member - ECM Representative for Sustainability Committee
- Elected Member - ECM Representative for Audit, Risk and Evaluation Committee
- Elected Member - ECM Representative for Impact and influence Committee
- Elected Member - ECM Representative for Publishing Panel
- Elected Member - ECM Representative for Scientific Conferences Panel
- Elected Member - ECM Representative for Eukaryotic Division
- Elected Member - ECM Representative for Virus Division
- Elected Member - ECM Representative for Prokaryotic Division
All ECM Forum Executive Committee representation positions are for a two-year term from January 2024–December 2025.
We will be seeking elected member positions for all our Divisions but the specific specialisms and expertise sought are dependent on the balance of representations and topics featured in the events programme over the next few years. Further information on positions available will be available soon.