Society-Supported Conference Grants
Awards of up to £2,000 are available to members who wish to organise a conference (in person or virtual) in any field of microbiology, either independently or in partnership with another Society.
Maximum award: £2,000
Deadlines: 1 June 2023 and 20 November 2023
Eligible membership categories: Full, Full Concessionary or Postgraduate Student members
Minimum membership categories: one year (two consecutive membership payments).
Enquiries about this scheme should be made by email to [email protected]. Please read all information on this page carefully and ensure you have read the guidance notes before submitting an application.Society-Supported Conference Grant guidance notes
- Application process
- What is covered by the grant
- Award criteria
- Administration of awards
- Conditions of the grant
Current paid-up Full, Full Concessionary or Postgraduate Student members who have held membership for a minimum period of one year (two consecutive membership subscription payments).
Awards will normally provide up to £2,000 to contribute to the expenses of the proposed event.
Funds may be used towards funding the costs of invited speakers’ travel and accommodation. See guidance notes for further details on expense allowances.
For virtual events, funds may be used to cover delegate fees for an invited speaker only.
In order to apply, please submit the below application form to [email protected] in advance of the conference or meeting. Applicants are advised to submit their application at least six months prior to the conference date.
There are two rounds of applications per year. Applicants are advised to submit their application at least six months prior to the conference date.
Closing dates for events taking place in 2024 are 1 June 2023 and 20 November 2023.
Applicants must include the following information with their application:
- A full meeting programme
- An event Code of Conduct must be submitted demonstrating how you have clearly addressed the Society’s EDI policy when identifying invited speakers for the meeting. You can view the Society’s Code of Conduct as an example.
All required supplementary material should be provided at the point of application. Full expected costs of invited speaker expenses should be given in the appropriate part of the application.Society-Supported Conference grant application form
Award decisions are made by a panel and informed by a points system based on a defined set of criteria. Please find the criteria below.Society-Supported Conference Grant scoring criteria
How to...write a great Society-Supported Conference Grant application
Thinking of submitting an application? Take a look at this how-to guide to give you the best chance of it being successful.
Applicants should expect to receive notification of the outcome of their application within two months of the closing date. Applicants are notified of an awarded grant via email.
To claim a grant, applicants must submit a completed expense claim form to [email protected]. All claims must be made within three months of the funded project and substantiated by receipt or copies of invoices or other documents as appropriate.
If a grant is awarded, the organisers will be required to:
- Acknowledge the financial support of the Society in all subsequent publicity, conference programmes and any resulting publications.
- Include printed materials, supplied by the Society, such as information on Society publications or upcoming conferences in the delegates packs or to display them for the whole duration of the conference.
- Display the Society’s logo on the conference website in line with the Society's branding guidelines.
- Clearly badge speakers funded by the Society as such, within but not limited to the following: programme book, abstract book, website and opening slide of a funded speaker’s presentation.
- Display the Society’s slide on rotating holding screens.
- Submit expense claim forms within three months after the meeting.
Enquiries about new applications to this scheme should be made by email to [email protected].