Society-Supported Conference Grants
Awards of up to £2,000 are available to members who wish to organise a conference (in person or virtual) in any field of microbiology, either independently or in partnership with another Society.
Maximum award: £2,000
Deadlines: 3 May 2021 and 1 November 2021
Eligible membership categories: Full, Full Concessionary or Postgraduate Student members
Minimum membership: one year (two consecutive membership subscription payments)
Enquiries about this scheme should be made by email to [email protected].
Applications to the 3 May 2021 deadline are now closed. Applications for the 1 November deadline (for events taking place in 2022) will open in August 2021).
Please read all information on this page carefully and ensure you have read and agreed to the grant's terms and conditions before submitting an application.
- What is covered by the grant?
- Application process
- Award criteria
- Administration of awards
- Conditions of the grant
Current paid-up Full, Full Concessionary or Postgraduate Student members who have held membership for a minimum period of one year (two consecutive membership subscription payments).
Awards will normally provide up to £2,000 to contribute to the expenses of the proposed event.
Funds may be used towards funding the costs of invited speakers’ travel and accommodation. See terms and conditions for further details on expense allowances.
For virtual events, funds may be used to cover delegate fees for an invited speaker only.
In order to apply, please submit the below application form to [email protected] in advance of the conference or meeting. Applicants are advised to submit their application at least six months prior to the conference date.Society Supported Conference Grant Application Form 2021
Society Supported Conference Grants Terms and Conditions
Applications are reviewed by the members of the Building Communities Committee (BCC) and Divisions. Please read the terms and conditions listed below carefully before submitting your application.
Award decisions are made by a panel and informed by a points system based on a defined set of criteria. Please find the criteria below.Society Supported Conference Grants Scoring Criteria
Applications should be made via the offline application form. All required supplementary material should be provided at the point of application. Full expected costs of invited speaker expenses should be given in the appropriate part of the application.
There are two rounds of application per year. Applicants are advised to submit their application at least six months prior to the conference date.
Closing dates for events taking place in 2022 are 3 May 2021 and 1 November 2021.
Applicants should expect to receive notification of the outcome of their application within two months of the closing date. Applicants will be notified of an awarded grant via email.
To claim a grant, applicants must submit a completed expenses claim form to [email protected]. All claims must be made within three months of the funded project and substantiated by receipts or copies of invoices or other documents as appropriate.
Successful applicants will also be required to submit an evaluation report within one month of the event or meeting.
If a grant is awarded, the organisers will be required to:
- Acknowledge the financial support of the Society in all subsequent publicity, conference programmes and in any resulting publications.
- Include printed materials, supplied by the Society, such as information on Society publications or upcoming conferences in the delegates' packs or to display them for the whole duration of the conference.
- Display the Society's logo on the conference website in line with the Society branding guidelines.
- Clearly badge speakers funded by the Society as such, within but not limited to the following: programme book, abstract book, website and opening slide of a funded speaker's presentation.
- Display the Society's slide on rotating holding screens.
- Submit the evaluation form, together with expenses claim form, within one month after the meeting.
- A full meeting programme should be submitted to the Grants Office as soon as this is available.
- All awardees should submit an event Code of Conduct to the Grants Office as soon as this is available.
If you were successfully awarded funds prior to September 2020, please contact [email protected] for any queries.