Journal of General Virology Deputy Editor-In-Chief: call for expressions of interest
27 November 2019
Journal of General Virology has been publishing peer-reviewed research for more than 50 years. We recognise the importance of virology as a unique discipline within microbiology, and actively collaborate with partners such as the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV) to support the global virology community.
We are currently looking to appoint a Deputy Editor-in-Chief to work closely with the incoming Editor-in-Chief, Professor W Paul Duprex (University of Pittsburgh), on both editorial strategy and operational matters for the journal. The Deputy Editor-in-Chief will be in office for at least three years, will be required to attend the annual Editorial Board meeting, as well as participate in monthly teleconferences. When the incoming Editor-in-Chief steps down, it would normally be expected that the Deputy Editor-in-Chief would take on the Editor-in-Chief role.
Responsibilities will include:
- Recommendation of virologists who could join the Editorial Board of the Journal;
- Recommendation of virologists who could join the Advisory Board of the Journal;
- Soliciting suitable contributions to the Journal;
- Commissioning authors to write editorials, review or other articles as agreed with the Society and the Editorial Board;
- Ensuring appropriate coverage and quality of contributions for publication in the Journal;
- Where appropriate, providing original contributions to the Journal, and not less than one contribution during the term of this Agreement;
- Providing advice and assistance in marketing of the Journal;
- Attendance at meetings with the Editorial Board and the Society as appropriate;
- Participate in monthly teleconferences with the Editor-in-Chief and Journal staff;
- Assist in promoting the journal through social media and Microbiology Society outlets.
The role will begin in April 2020 and is open to any Full, Full Concessionary or Honorary Member of the Society.
- Demonstrated excellence in the field of virology for a prolonged period of time
- Previous experience as an Editor of Journal of General Virology
- Maintains an active virology research profile
- Have an exceptional network of international contacts with a wide range of specialties in the discipline
If you are interested, please send your CV to email@example.com. The appointment will be subject to approval by Council.
This role is now closed to expressions of interest.
The Microbiology Society is committed to creating an inclusive culture that supports equality and diversity and fully reflects both its membership and the global microbiology community. The Society seeks to actively encourage all practices that reflect a diverse society.