Full Concessionary Member
Full Concessionary Membership is available for those with an academic or professional interest in microbiology with an annual income of less than £30,000 (or equivalent) per year.
"Membership has allowed me a deeper and more fulfilling understanding of the Society."
Stephen Tuffs, Full Concessionary Member, Microbiology Society
There are two payment options to join as a Full Concessionary Member of the Society:
- From £35 per year, for payment by Direct Debit*
- From £38 per year, for payment by a debit or credit card
*Direct Debit is available to bank account holders in the United Kingdom.
Joining the Microbiology Society as a Full Concessionary Member offers plenty of opportunities. We've listed just some of them below.
- Networking opportunities through Society meetings and events.
- Discounted Annual Conference and Focused Meeting rates.
- Grant opportunities to help fund travel costs, research visits, outreach and teaching activities.
- Discount to publish in our portfolio of journals.
- Additional grant funding through the Microbiology Society's membership of the Federation of European Microbiological Societies (FEMS).
- Opportunities to have your contributions and experience recognised within the wider community through our prizes and awards.
- Access the Membership Directory to build your presence within our community.
|Full Member||Full Concessionary Member||Postgraduate Student Member||Undergraduate Student Member||Affiliate Member|
|Electronic access to Microbiology Today||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Print subscription to Microbiology Today^||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Reduced registration for Annual Conference and Focused Meetings||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Discount to publish for open access in Society journals||✔||✔||✔|
|Eligible to apply for Society grants**||✔||✔||✔||✔◊|
|Eligible to apply for FEMS~grants||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Access to the Membership Directory||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Access to professional development content||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Can hold office and vote||✔||✔||✔|
|Eligible to join the Early Career Microbiologists’ Forum||✔||✔||✔||✔|
** Grant eligibility varies by grade. See each grant for details.
◊ Careers Conference Grants only.
^ An additional supplement is payable by those members outside of the UK and Ireland who elect to receive a print copy.
~ Federation of European Microbiological Societies.
There are other ways that Full Concessionary Members can get more involved with the Society:
- Engage with our wider communities through the Federation of European Microbiological Socities (FEMS) and the Federation of Infection Societies (FIS).
- Take advantage of our 'opportunities to shine' – opportunities to enhance your CV and stand out from the crowd.