Postgraduate Student Member
Postgraduate Student Membership is available for those registered for a higher degree.
"Being a member helps you think outside the box and how you can apply new techniques back in your own work place."
Laura Thompson, Postgraduate Student Member, Microbiology Society
Postgraduate Student Membership costs from £38/year or £100 for three years. Members outside the UK and EU have the option of receiving hard copies of Microbiology Today magazine for an additonal supplement.
Joining the Microbiology Society as a Postgraduate Student Member offers plenty of opportunities. We've listed just some of them below.
- Discounted Annual Conference and Focused Meeting rates.
- Networking opportunities to advance your career at Society meetings and events.
- Grant opportunities to help fund conference and travel costs, research visits, outreach and teaching activities.
- Discount to publish in our portfolio of journals.
- Additional grant funding through the Microbiology Society's membership of the Federation of European Microbiological Societies (FEMS).
- Be considered for the Sir Howard Dalton Young Microbiologist of the Year award.
- Attend our 'Meet the Speaker' and networking events at our Annual Conferences.
- Access the Membership Directory to build your presence within our community.
- Receive a discount for three years’ membership.
|Full Member||Full Concessionary Member||Postgraduate Student Member||Undergraduate Student Member||Affiliate Member|
|Electronic access to Microbiology Today||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Print subscription to Microbiology Today^||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Reduced registration for Annual Conference and Focused Meetings||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Discount to publish for open access in Society journals||✔||✔||✔|
|Eligible to apply for Society grants**||✔||✔||✔||✔◊|
|Eligible to apply for FEMS~grants||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Access to the Membership Directory||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Access to professional development content||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Can hold office and vote||✔||✔||✔|
|Eligible to join the Early Career Microbiologists’ Forum||✔||✔||✔||✔|
** Grant eligibility varies by grade and length of membership. See each grant for details.
◊ Careers Conference Grants only.
^ An additional supplement is payable by those members outside of the UK and Ireland who elect to receive a print copy.
~ Federation of European Microbiological Societies.
There are other ways that Postgraduate Student Members can get more involved with the Society:
- Engage with our wider communities through the Federation of European Microbiological Socities (FEMS) and the Federation of Infection Societies (FIS).
- Take advantage of our 'opportunities to shine' – opportunities to enhance your CV and stand out from the crowd.