Full Membership is available for those with an academic or professional interest in microbiology.
"It’s a great chance to mix with the broader virology community. And Conference is great for making contacts and networking generally."
Adrian Fox, Full Member, Microbiology Society
Full membership costs from £79 a year. Members outside the UK and EU have the option of receiving hard copies of Microbiology Today magazine for an additonal £10/year.
Joining the Microbiology Society as a Full Member offers plenty of opportunities. We've listed just some of them below.
- Networking opportunities through Society meetings and events.
- Discounted Annual Conference and Focused Meeting rates.
- Grant opportunities to help fund travel costs, research visits, outreach and teaching activities.
- Discount to publish in our portfolio of journals.
- Additional grant funding through the Microbiology Society's membership of the Federation of European Microbiological Societies (FEMS).
- Opportunities to have your contributions and experience recognised within the wider community through our prizes and awards.
- Access the Membership Directory to build your presence within our community.
|Full Member||Full Concessionary Member||Postgraduate Student Member||Undergraduate Student Member||Affiliate Member|
|Electronic access to Microbiology Today||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Print subscription to Microbiology Today^||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Reduced registration for Annual Conference and Focused Meetings||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Discount to publish for open access in Society journals||✔||✔||✔|
|Eligible to apply for Society grants**||✔||✔||✔||✔◊|
|Eligible to apply for FEMS~grants||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Access to the Membership Directory||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Access to professional development content||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Can hold office and vote||✔||✔||✔|
|Eligible to join the Early Career Microbiologists’ Forum||✔||✔||✔||✔|
** Grant eligibility varies by grade and length of membership. See each grant for details.
◊ Careers Conference Grants only.
^ An additional supplement is payable by those members outside of the UK and Ireland who elect to receive a print copy.
~ Federation of European Microbiological Societies.
There are other ways that Full Members can get more involved with the Society:
- Engage with our wider communities through the Federation of European Microbiological Socities (FEMS) and the Federation of Infection Societies (FIS).
- Take advantage of our 'opportunities to shine' – opportunities to enhance your CV and stand out from the crowd.