Full Membership is available for those with an academic or professional interest in microbiology.
"It’s a great chance to mix with the broader virology community. And Conference is great for making contacts and networking generally."
Adrian Fox, Full Member, Microbiology Society
There are two payment options to join as a Full Member of the Society:
- From £72 per year, for payment by Direct Debit*
- From £79 per year, for payment by a debit or credit card
*Direct Debit is available to bank account holders in the United Kingdom.
Joining the Microbiology Society as a Full Member offers plenty of opportunities. We've listed just some of them below.
- Networking opportunities through Society meetings and events.
- Discounted Annual Conference and Focused Meeting rates.
- Grant opportunities to help fund travel costs, research visits, outreach and teaching activities.
- Discount to publish in our portfolio of journals.
- Additional grant funding through the Microbiology Society's membership of the Federation of European Microbiological Societies (FEMS).
- Opportunities to have your contributions and experience recognised within the wider community through our prizes and awards.
- Access the Membership Directory to build your presence within our community.
|Full Member||Full Concessionary Member||Postgraduate Student Member||Undergraduate Student Member||Affiliate Member|
|Electronic access to Microbiology Today||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Print subscription to Microbiology Today^||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Reduced registration for Annual Conference and Focused Meetings||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Discount to publish for open access in Society journals||✔||✔||✔|
|Eligible to apply for Society grants**||✔||✔||✔||✔◊|
|Eligible to apply for FEMS~grants||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Access to the Membership Directory||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Access to professional development content||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Can hold office and vote||✔||✔||✔|
|Eligible to join the Early Career Microbiologists’ Forum||✔||✔||✔||✔|
** Grant eligibility varies by grade. See each grant for details.
◊ Careers Conference Grants only.
^ An additional supplement is payable by those members outside of the UK and Ireland who elect to receive a print copy.
~ Federation of European Microbiological Societies.
There are other ways that Full Members can get more involved with the Society:
- Engage with our wider communities through the Federation of European Microbiological Socities (FEMS) and the Federation of Infection Societies (FIS).
- Take advantage of our 'opportunities to shine' – opportunities to enhance your CV and stand out from the crowd.