Early Career Microbiologists' Forum Event Fund
The Early Career Microbiologists' (ECM) Forum Executive Committee provides small grants to contribute to the costs of events and virtual activities organised by eligible ECM Forum members
Maximum award: £500
Deadlines: 31 March 2021 and 30 September 2021
Eligible membership categories: Membership of the ECM Forum
Minimum membership: none required
Applications for the 1 April deadline are now closed. Applications for the 30 September deadline will open in June.
Enquiries about this scheme should be made by email to [email protected].
Please read all information on this page carefully and ensure you have read and agreed to the grants terms and conditions before submitting an application.
- What is covered by the grant?
- Application process
- Award criteria
- Administration of awards
Current ECM Forum members who work or study in the UK or Republic of Ireland. To find out more about the ECM Forum, including how to join, visit the webpage.
Find out how receiving the Early Career Microbiologist's (ECM) Event Fund Grant has benefited eligible ECM Forum members.
Up to £500 will be awarded to contribute to the expenses of the proposed activity.
A variety of activities will be considered for support, for example:
- inviting a speaker to give a microbiological research seminar
- hosting a symposium, workshop or short conference (which could be to disseminate research results and give students an opportunity to present work, or provide training in a specific technique or methodology or other professional development activity)
- a careers advice session
- organising one of a range of virtual events or activities such as online seminars, workshops/conferences etc.
Funds may be used towards the travel and accommodation expenses of a speaker, venue hire, dinner or other food (but not alcoholic beverages), promotional material and resources.
There are two rounds of application per year. Closing dates are 31 March 2021 and 30 September 2021.
Applications must be made via the Grants Application Portal, which can be accessed via the button available on this page.
Applicants must provide a detailed description of the proposed activity, full costings and evidence of any other sponsorship. The Head of Department of the Institution must write in support of the activity, indicating whether resources will also be available from local sources.
All applications will be considered by the ECM Forum Executive Committee. The following criteria will be considered:
- Clear outline of the event programme including timings.
- The event has demonstrable relevance to early career microbiologists.
- The proposal shows understanding and implementation of the Society’s Equality and Diversity statement.
- Concise and reasonable costings are provided.
- A proportionate plan for evaluating the event is provided.
Applicants should expect to receive notification of the outcome of their application within one month of the closing date applied. It is therefore expected that applications for the March and September rounds will be for activities taking place after 1 May and 1 November, respectively.
Applicants will be notified of an awarded grant via email. The grant award will also be displayed on the Mi Society account under ‘Grant History’.
To claim a grant, Applicants should log into Mi Society, and upload evidence of the claim (this can be receipts or invoices, and evidence of attendance) when completing the grant claim form. Awarded funds will be paid to the applicant’s nominated account by bank transfer within one month of an award claim being made.